Skip to main content Skip to footer

Visa Assistance

If you are planning to study in Malta, there is a high likelihood that you will require a student visa.  

After 4 to 5 weeks in Malta you will need to apply for an e-Residence permit which will allow you to remain in Malta for the duration of your studies.  Acquiring an e-Residence permit allows you to live, study and work part-time during your course at GBS Malta. 

For any queries, contact

Malta Student Visa

Malta Student Visa

Our dedicated Visa Support Team will provide you with specialist assistance for all the stages of your visa process.

We can help you find out any potential visa requirements you might have, giving you a clearer understanding of the process. You might also need to bring certain original documents to Malta in order to complete the visa process.

There are several important factors to consider when applying for a student visa, and the following information will highlight some of the key points you need to know. 

Who needs a visa to study in Malta?

If you are not from Switzerland or an EU/EEA country, you will need a student visa to study in Malta. If you are planning to study with GBS Malta, then you will be studying either a full-time bachelor's or master's degree course. These full-time courses will be over three months in duration, so you will need an e-Residence Permit if you are a non-EU/EEA/Swiss national. 

Malta Visa requirements
How to apply for a Visa

How to apply for a Visa?

At GBS Malta, we want to ensure that all our students have a positive visa application experience.

This page will give you the information you need to make your visa application process easier to understand — giving you a better idea of the requirements throughout your visa application.

The requirements stated here are subject to change due to internal policy changes from the Maltese Government, foreign policy changes and other factors. We advise that you stay aware of the latest visa information by contacting your nearest Maltese embassy or High Commission in your home country. Following this advice will ensure that you are up-to-date with the latest information to support your visa application.

Student Visa and e-Residence Permit

A Visa is the official permission, which temporarily authorises individuals to travel to a foreign country so you need to check whether you are required to apply for a visa to travel to Malta. 
An e-Residence Permit on the other hand is the document that you will require to be able to remain in Malta for the duration of your studies. Following arrival and registration students should apply for an e-Residence Permit. This permit will also be used as an ID card and will allow you to travel within the Schengen Area, together with a valid passport.
Although you might not need a visa to enter Malta, most students still need to apply for a Residence permit so it is best to familiarise yourself with the information before you arrive in Malta.

Residence Permit

What documents are needed for a Malta student visa application?

Here is a list of common documents you could be asked to provide:

  • Visa Application Form
  • Recent Passport sized photo
  • Valid passport/ travel document
  • Travel medical insurance
  • Confirmed travel itinerary
  • Proof of sufficient funds to study and cover living expenses
  • Original letter of acceptance from GBS HE Malta
  • Bank statements (last 3 months from date of visa application)
  • Copy of bank card which can be used internationally
  • Proof of living accommodation
  • Proof of course fees paid (50% deposit or full) 
  • Original photocopy of the current passport
  • Proof of sufficient language proficiency
  • Course timetable (provided by GBS Malta team)
  • GDPR form (provided by GBS Malta team)

For more information, please refer to the official CVU’s page. You can also download a copy of the visa application form here - Application-form-new-malta.pdf (

FAQs for students applying for a Visa in Malta

The processing time required for a student visa will depend on when your application is made and the specifics of your case. Several factors can impact the time it takes to obtain your student visa.

Which is why we suggest our students to apply for a student visa 3 months in advance before the commencement of the course.

If you are a non-EU/EEA student studying at GBS Malta for at least one semester, you must apply for a residence permit within the first three months (90 days) of your arrival in Malta. This permit is valid for one year of study and renewed annually subject to your academic progression.Our Student Advisor Team at GBS Malta can provide you with advice on this process in addition to visa assistance with renewing your residence permit if applicable.

If you are planning to stay in Malta after graduating from your course, you will need to apply for a Malta work permit in order to become a legal resident. While you are studying, you can apply for an employment license allowing you to work for a maximum of 20 hours per week. 

Take the next step

We’ve helped thousands of students change their lives since 2010.

Become part of our vibrant, inclusive educational community. Change your life today!


Browse our courses

We offer undergraduate and postgraduate courses that deliver the business skills and knowledge that employers are looking for.